Coordinates 57° 47’ 35” N 152° 23’ 39” W
Kodiak island has been home of the Alutiiq people for over 7,000 years. This area was first visited by outsiders in 1763 when Russian explorer Stephan Glotov. He called it Kad’yak. The Alutiiq name for the area was Kadiak which literally means “island”.
A massive tsunami struck Kodiak in 1964. A 9 m (30 foot) wave destroyed much of the cities waterfront and wiped out the native villages of Old Harbor and Kaguyak. Some areas of Kodiak were permanently raised by 30 feet.
We are spending the day ashore. It started off with heavy rain but the sun has made a striking appearance.